The Greenbushes area first came to prominence in 1888 when prospector David William Stinton was issued with the State's first mining lease on behalf of the Bunbury Mining Company. Two years earlier the Government Surveyor EA Hardman had noted the presence of tin in the area. The early pioneers who shaped the district were miners, farmers, timber workers and the owners of the many support businesses that sprang up to service these industries. At its peak in 1907 the town boasted a population of 3,000 people.
The current Greenbushes Cemetery was established in 1910.
The original Greenbushes Cemetery was located on the South Western Highway three kilometres north of Greenbushes. A memorial plaque on a rock marks the site of the original cemetery. There are 45 names on the plaque which is believed to commemorate only half of the total burials at the site.
Of the names, 41 are for infants ranging from stillborn to three years and almost half of the deaths occurred in 1907/08.
It is thought the cause was an epidemic of Spanish Influenza.
The date recorded for the first burial in the original cemetery is 1903.
The Founder of the Greenbushes Tinfield, prospector David William Stinton and his wife Fanny (nee Properjohn) are buried at the Greenbushes Cemetery. Their simple graves are located in the old Anglican section.
Fanny Stinton died on 11 April 1922 at the age of 56. Eighteen days later on 29 April 1922 David Stinton died of pneumonia aged 63.
Their eldest daughter Alice Jane (known as Jane) Coleman died 17 December 1955 at the age of 93 and is also buried at the Greenbushes Cemetery.